Guidelines for Audience Opportunity to Address the School Board
See the meeting schedule on the Board Meetings and Reports Page for Board meeting dates and times.
To encourage and facilitate parent and community involvement in the school, the Board of Directors of Parnassus Preparatory School provides an opportunity for members of the audience to address the Board as follows:
1. Anyone who wishes to address the Board must complete an Audience Comment Card and submit it to the Board Secretary (or designee) prior to the start of the meeting. Once the Community Comment portion of the meeting has begun, no additional cards will be accepted.
2. The Board Secretary (or designee) will call on each speaker who has submitted an Audience Comment Card, first calling on those addressing an item included in the current agenda, followed by those addressing topics not on the current agenda.
3. When called upon, please state your name and topic. All remarks should be addressed to the Board as a whole, not to any specific member(s) or to any person who is not a member of the Board.
4. If more than three individuals have organized to speak on the same topic, please designate a spokesperson who can summarize the issue. If there are multiple speakers on the same topic, the Secretary may randomly select a subset of those speakers.
5. Please limit your comments to three minutes. Commentary longer than three minutes can be submitted to the board in writing or via email.
6. During this agenda item (not to exceed 20 minutes, subject to the discretion of the chair), the Board and administration will listen to comments and ask clarifying questions if needed. The Board will not deliberate or take action regarding requests presented at this meeting. The Board Chair, upon determining a consensus of the Board, may delegate responsibility to the school’s administration or designee to follow up with the speaker within a few days following the meeting.
7. Comments and interactions between Board members and the public are expected to be respectful, courteous, professional, and civil. The Board Chair will be responsible for ensuring that interaction meets these standards and will disallow inappropriate interaction. Profanity, vulgarity, or character abuse will not be permitted. The board chair or presiding officer has the authority to terminate the remarks of an individual that does not adhere to the established guidelines. There will be no cheering, applause or other disruptions during a board meeting.
8. Speakers may not address criticism toward an individual district employee. MN Open Meeting law prohibits the Board from discussing concerns about individual employees or students in a public meeting. Please forward comments regarding individual employees or students to the Board Chair in writing.